Friday, June 25, 2010

Back from vacation!

Okay, guys...I am back from one of the food capitals of the world...New Orleans! I had a great time, ate lots of good stuff, but am so glad to be home. 

In honor of the Crescent City, I think I will share recipes this week that have to a New Orleans flavor. We ate brunch at the Court of Two Sisters on Royal Street and I have to say...it was a lot of fun! There was some delicious food (nothing that would make us go back, though), and it does feel good when your husband says "yours is SOOOOO much better".  And, if I do say so myself, this bread pudding kicks boo-tay!

Bread Pudding (taken from Paul Prudhomme, modified by me )
1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
1 cup plus tbsp. sugar
2 (12 Oz) cans evaporated milk
3 eggs
2 tbsp. vanilla bean paste
1 tsp. ground cinnamon( I use Cinnamon Plus from Pampered Chef)
1 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
8 slices stale French bread or challah bread, toasted and very dry

1.  Place butter and sugar in large bowl, beat on medium speed (about 5 minutes)
2. Add everything but the bread to the bowl. Beat on low until thoroughly blended (3-5 minutes).
3.  Line bottom of greased 8x8 pan with small bread pieces (if you use more bread, adjust the amount of milk and spices to taste and use a 13x9 pan. Add one more egg if needed as wel).
4. Pour mixture over bread pieces and let stand at least an hour--more if you can. Put it in the fridge if you let it stand over an hour. Then, let it come back to room temperature before putting in the oven.
5.  Bake at 450 for about 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment