Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Welcome to Alicyn's Apron!

Who's hungry? Maybe the better question to ask is--who ISN'T hungry? After being encouraged for several years to "do something" with my cooking, I have decided to take a first step into blogging.  My taste in food could be called fancy, but my ideas are simple. I plan on sharing recipes and entertaining ideas. Most of these I have learned by trial and error...so hopefully my "trials" will prevent your "errors". :)

One of my technical issues is that I don't measure very well--so many times, you may see "add to taste". Sorry, but that is just the way it is. I will do my best to give you "ballpark guesstimates".  Some musicians play by ear---I cook by taste. 

So--here is a first idea for a quick summertime dish. 

Chicken and Pasta Salad
1 16 oz tricolor rotini box of pasta, cooked according to package directions; add olive oil and salt to the water as it is boiling. Drain and cool.
4 cups shredded and cooked chicken breast meat
1 16 oz. bottle of Newman's Own Olive Oil & Vinegar dressing (you won't use the whole bottle, but then again...you might)
2-4 tbsp. Zatarain's cajun seasoning--this is my secret weapon :)
Shredded or grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Put in fridge for at least 2 hours.  Before serving, check for taste--add more dressing if it is dry, more cajun seasoning or salt and pepper if needed. Mix well.  Top individual servings with parmesan cheese--don't put it on the large bowl (it gets soggy). 

Hope you enjoy this dish. Let me hear from you!
Alicyn







4 comments: